Things to do & see

Ørje Brug



  • Attraction

Ørje Brugs Træsliberi was built in 1886 between the river and the locks. The wood grinding mill was built as a result of the canalization that took place in the Halden watercourse when the Halden Canal was built. The canal was used to transport timber to the wood grinding mill and finished wood pulp bales further down the watercourse where they were loaded onto a railway in Tistedalen. In winter, the wood was transported by horse to Mysen, and by rail from there. The wood grinding mill was in operation from 1886 to 1942. The original wooden building burned down on New Year's Eve 1896, and a new one in brick was erected in 1897. It is used today by the Canal Museum. There were also residential buildings for both the management and the workers in the area. These have also been restored and are used by the Canal Museum.

Haldenvassdragets Kanalmuseum and Ørje Brug are today a holistic cultural environment and a center for experiences, activities and knowledge about the watercourse's cultural and natural history. The area around Ørje Brug is a great arena for experiences, and there is a lot to see in the area for both children and adults.